The Medical Student Bursary Program sponsored by Doctors Nova Scotia is
offered to medical students attending Dalhousie University or Nova
Scotia residents studying medicine at Université de Sherbrooke in
Students can apply for the bursary each year of medical school.
Every year, bursaries of up to $5,000 may be awarded to selected medical
2017-18 bursary recipients
Six Dalhousie University medical school students received $5,000 each through the 2016-17 Medical Student Bursary Program.
Recipients were David Hung, Hans Lafford, Sean Nurmsoo, Bartosz Orzel, Atul Sabharwal, and Thomas Toguri. They were awarded the bursaries based on their need, community involvement, and dedication to the medical field.
To be eligible for the medical student bursary, students must be:
- a member of Doctors Nova Scotia
- a member of the Canadian Medical Association
- enrolled at Dalhousie University Medical School or at Université de Sherbrooke's medical school as a Nova Scotia student
- a volunteer on a committee or working group or volunteer for an organization, coalition, or government program which falls within health-related fields
- a resident of Nova Scotia as defined by the Canada Revenue Agency
Applicants must also give permission to Dalhousie Financial Assistance to share financial information with Doctors Nova Scotia.
2018-19 application form
Application forms for the 2018-19 Medical Student Bursary Program will be distributed at the
beginning of the academic year to Dalhousie medical students attending
Dalhousie University and Nova Scotia residents studying medicine at
Université de Sherbrooke in Quebec.