Doctors Nova Scotia depends on the expertise of its membership to develop policies and advance issues for improvement of the health-care system.
Expenses eligible for reimbursement include honorarium for physicians appointed by Doctors Nova Scotia to serve on a committee.
The Doctors Nova Scotia annual meeting isn’t eligible for honoraria and expense claims.
While not part of the Honoraria & Expense policy, when external organizations request physician sit on their committees, Doctors Nova Scotia will attempt to negotiate payment of honoraria and/or expenses with the agency requesting representation.
Claims for meetings must include formal documentation (eg. agenda and minutes) and reasonable travel time.
Daily rate: $800/day maximum
Members travelling from outside HRM:
Members travelling from inside HRM:
- Meetings plus travel lasting 4 hours or less will be paid honoraria for a half day
- Meetings plus travel lasting in excess of 4 hours will be paid honoraria for one full day
$125/hour for teleconference calls
- Meetings lasting less than 4 hours will be paid honoraria for a half day ($400)
- Meetings lasting 4 to 4.5 hours will be paid for a half day, plus the member can claim an additional $100 over and above the half day honoraria for an hour of travel ($500)
- Meetings lasting more than 4.5 hours will be paid for one full day ($800)
A $5,000 stipend is provided to Board of Directors standing committee chairs.
Honoraria are paid in two instalments. Payments for the period from January to June are made in July; payments for the period from July to December are made the following January.
Receipts and a completed Travel Expense & Honoraria Claim Form must be submitted within 30 days.
Mileage is reimbursed at .50 cent/km
If a seat sale isn’t available, the full fare economy ticket will be reimbursed. Upgrades are at the traveler’s expense.
- Single room rate for standard accommodations. Claims are reimbursed at a reasonable amount based on meeting location.
- A $40 reimbursement is provided to those who chose to stay with family or friends rather than at a hotel.
Meals (maximum of $90/day)
- Breakfast - $15
- Lunch - $25
- Dinner - $50
The Honoraria & Expense Policy also outlines remuneration provided to the executive of the Board of Directors. Persons in these positions receive no other honoraria in relation to their role with the association.
$1,000/month for car allowance
Manager, Payroll & benefits