Doctors Nova Scotia worked with its health-system partners to ensure physicians’ voices are represented and that physicians are supported appropriately as MAID is implemented in Nova Scotia.
Doctors Nova Scotia’s role:
- Participated in the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Nova Scotia (CPSNS) Advisory Group
- Provided feedback on the CPSNS provincial standard of practice
- Created an internal working group to inform representatives serving on the CPSNS Advisory Group
- Helped create and administer a physician survey, providing members the opportunity to provide feedback on the draft provincial standard of practice
- Hosted an information session for physicians with CPSNS, CMPA and Nova Scotia Health Authority (NSHA) representatives
- Worked with the CPSNS to host a series of physician-education sessions around the province
If you receive a MAID request
Physicians whose patients request MAID are to contact John McCarthy, Medical Affairs Advisor at the NSHA, at 902-491-5862 or nshealth.ca.
Doctors Nova Scotia also recommends contacting the CMPA (1-800-267-6522) and asking for a physician advisor regarding MAID.
Billing for MAID
An interim fee has been created to compensate physicians for the time and effort involved in providing MAID. Doctors Nova Scotia recognizes the interim fee is inadequate and is in working with partners to help establish a more appropriate permanent fee.
- For first and second physicians: EC-30 MSU for the first 30 minutes and 15 MSU per 15 minutes thereafter to a maximum of two hours. Recording of times is mandatory.
- If the first or second physician is a specialist, and the patient has been formally referred, the specialist may bill the appropriate specialist prolonged consult fee. Recording of times is mandatory.
- For the full billing guidelines for the MAID code, contact Cat Henderson, Manager, practice support & fee schedule, at doctorsns.com or 902-481-4942.